Tuesday, August 30

White Distressed Coffee Table with Turquoise Accents

I've been working on this coffee table for 2 months. She was a little stubborn but so am I...


At first I painted her a bright turquoise but it was just way too much color for this table. Then I tried white. It was OK but I wanted to see if something else would make more sense. So I dry brushed the base in a greyish turquoise. I liked the technique but I hated the way it looked. So we went back to white .

 I decided to glaze her in a silver metallic and she was beginning to show some character. However, after all the coats of paint the thin carvings on the corners were looking awful. I could see drips of paint  and runs. I turned to wood filler to remedy the problem. It was my first go at wood filler and I didn't do such an awesome job. Still, I could see the outlines of the carvings and then I thought about decoupoging.

I had this swirly craft paper that I adhered to the corners with mod podge and sealed with a clear coat. It was just the right amount of color and the swirls added a little whimsy. 

The edges of the tabletop and legs got a little distressing attention and then I applied a white wash. I like white washing (watered down white paint applied and then wiped off) because it provides a muted wood tone to the distressed areas. I finished her off with a few coats of wax and spray painted the original hardware.

After two months of trying different colors and techniques, she's finished and listed in my Etsy Shop!





It's OK to make a few mistakes especially when you can paint over them.

2 comments:

  1. Very sweet coffee table-- love the blue accents too :)

    Visiting from MMS Linky Party today,
    ~Suzanne in NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete